Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thechoson
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Did I get a "bad" 60D?
Sep 11, 2012

I purchased a brand new 60D from Amazon. Got it on Friday, love the camera and I think it was worthwhile upgrade from my XSi. That being said, I noticed 2 issues with it.

The first one was a very strong rubbery smell from the grips. Obviously this would make sense since the grip IS rubber, I get that. But I've purchased other cameras with rubber grips before and while they have that rubbery "new camera" smell, this was a lot stronger than anything I remember. I used the camera for about 1 hour and afterwards my hands smelled like rubber pretty strongly. The smell lingered for a couple of hours even after I washed my hands. Now the smell is definitely still there, but it may be going away. But still, have any other 60D owners (or other Canon DSLR) noticed a similar strong rubber smell?

And now today I noticed that the grip is starting to peel already. It's the piece that's on the back of the camera. There is a little groove that has the exposure lock and the AF point selection buttons, and right under that groove the rubber is starting to peel at the corner. Looks like the adhesive is simply not strong enough, plus that curvature doesn't help either.

I've only had this camera for 3 days. I know a batch of 60Ds had issues with the rubber grips peeling, but most of the stuff I could find online was for cameras purchased quite a while ago. I got this one on Amazon and I would think they move inventory fairly quickly, so I'm assuming this is a newer batch...

I ask because if the grip peeling issue has been resolved, looks like I just got a lemon and it might be worth seeing if I can return or exchange. But if this is a common problem and I'm likely just to get another 60D that will also peel, then really no point in seeking a return.

Otherwise I love the camera, terrific upgrade from XSi. I'd really love for this to work out, I can't even stomach being without it for the week or so it would take to do the exchange (if Amazon allows it)

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow