Backfocus problems need to be fixed by Nikon?

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,091Gear list
Like?
Re: Backfocus problems need to be fixed by Nikon?
In reply to shutterbud, Sep 11, 2012

shutterbud wrote:

It's pretty clear that my D5100 is having backfocus problems, at least with the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 which I almost always use. So this is either a body or lens problem. Am I right in thinking I will have to send the offending article back to Nikon? Do they have a policy through which one can return it via any AD?

I always had to tweak the AF fine tune on my D7000. It was a bit annoying, but I tolerated it. When I got a used Tamron 17-50, I couldn't get a sharp image wide open to save my life. I was sure that it was defective.

Then I dropped the D7000 to the ground on its back / battery cover from about 6 feet (on my tripod, which was not fully open and thus vulnerable to a prairie wind) ... it was cement and the 70-300VR split itself right in half. The D7000 was bent out of shape ... it was ugly.

I sent it to Nikon and they fixed it all, for free. (Oh Canada ...) and they gave me a 25% discount on a replacement 70-300VR.

When it all came back, I noticed that every lens was focusing perfectly at dead center. No AF fine tune needed ... and this includes Tammy 17-50, Tammy 28-75, Nikon 70-300VR, Tammy 19-35, Nikon 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and Sigma 105 2.8 Macro.

Words can't express what a joy this thing is to shoot now. I highly recommend you document your AF issues and get it tuned up. I hope you have the same experience that I did.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
coolNew
MostNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow