X-Trans is NOT Random

Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,452
Like?
Re: X-Trans is NOT Random
In reply to balios, Sep 10, 2012

Please guys, stop trying to define/justify randomness like this. I will throw my degrees in the bin and I will come visit and study with you!

balios wrote:

The randomness isn't in regard to the whole sensor. A pattern is repeated all over the sensor (obviously). But the pattern that is repeated is itself effectively random.

I say "effectively" because they obviously chose the specific arrangement of color pixels themselves, as opposed to letting a random generator choose it. You still need a certain amount of color pixels near each other for the sensor to work (a truly random method could result in mostly red pixels and no blue pixels as your repeating pattern...). Fuji wasn't going to let a dice roll determine whether their camera could take useable photos.

So they selected how many pixels of each color they wanted in their pattern, then distributed it in a way that you would expect from a random method, as opposed to a sequential method. I would guess that they tried many different arrangements and went with the one that worked the best. The result is that you get the benefit of a random distribution (no moire), while still having useable photos (being able to combine local RGB pixels into an accurate color representation).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow