ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 962
Like?
LR Speed Question and Possibly HDD Recommendations
Sep 10, 2012

I kind of have two questions here:

My computer is a Dell XPS notebook (L502x) with an i7-2630QM, 8GB Ram and I'm running 64 Bit Windows 7. All my images are saved to a cheap Hp external HDD.

First: My Lightroom (LR3, but I will be upgrading shortly) is slow sometimes, especially when using things like the clone tool. Once I start making a couple clone circles things really slow down and get laggy making it hard to get the next clone circle in the perfect place. I assume this is because all the images are saved to a a cheap external HDD. Would that be a safe assumption or is there something else I should be looking at as the source of this less than perfect performance? I guess it could be the HDD in the computer as I don't know what kind of speed that would have?

Second: If the external HDD is the problem does anyone have recommendations for what to use instead? I have an eSata port in the notebook so I'm thinking of getting a Rosewill RX-358 V2 enclosure and sticking a 2 or 3TB HDD in there (and getting another one for backup). What is the best bang for your buck as far as HDD's go. Also what specs should I be looking for? (e.g. 6.0GB/s vs 3.0GB/s or anything else)? Finally Newegg describes some drives as "Bare Drive". I assume this is what I need. Is that a safe assumption?

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris

http://s1215.photobucket.com/home/Albino_BlacMan/index

Nikon 1 V2 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow