Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?
The Subway at Zion NP
Sep 10, 2012

After my leadoff Narrows hike at Zion NP ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1047&message=42425407 ), the next day I was lucky enough to have a permit to hike the Subway at Zion. Like the Narrows, the Subway is a water-logged hike through a canyon. The Subway is one of the few places in a US national park where you need a permit just to enter (lots of places need permits for overnight stays). Unlike the Narrows, the Subway is a grueling, non-stop, scramble. A recent storm, which had downed trees and added a lot of boulders and other obstacles, had pushed the typical 6-8 experience into well beyond that (for me and most others, an 11+ hour mess).

Two hikers that day needed a rescue. The first had twisted a knee, gotten lost, and had been stuck there all night (I gave him water, pointed him in the right direction, and somehow got enough dial-tone to call the NPS). I had expected to continue my hike and catch up with him in about 90-120 minutes (I hadn't yet figured out just how slow the going was; NPS helped him out before I caught up). I have no idea what happened to the second but the NPS didn't think they could extract him/her that night and were planning to haul the poor soul out the next day.

In any event, here are a few photos from that day.

C&C Welcome

jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow