Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?
help sell me on the A99
Sep 10, 2012

So the A99 is supposed to be announced in two days. I'm a portrait and wedding photographer who has never gone full frame, so naturally, I'm thinking about the A99. Actually, I'm having a debate with myself about whether to place an order as soon as possible, or whether to stick with my A77. At the moment (with the camera still just a rumor) the part of me that says to stick with the A77 and forget the A99 is winning the argument for a variety of reasons that are fairly easy to guess (money, if it ain't broke, etc).

Can anybody help me think of arguments on the other side, that is, reasons why I might want to get the A99, either to replace my A77 or as another camera? Two advantages of full-frame are obvious: shallower depth of field when I want it and lower-noise in low light. On the other hand, I have a number of fast primes and when I want it I can already get the depth of field to be shallow enough. And I haven't found noise to be a problem with the A77.

I'm sure I'm missing something, or perhaps several somethings. But what?

Keep in mind that I do not own an A900 or A850. I can understand why folks with a collection of good full-frame lenses will jump to get the A99. But that's not my situation.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow