Nikon D7000 vs Sony RX100

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 vs Sony RX100
In reply to GMart, Sep 10, 2012

How can you ever have a fair comparison of a DSLR and a P&S? Even if you have same ISO, shutter speed and aperture. You are still subject to variables of lens quality (resolution, vignetting) and sensor size (DOF). So there is no need to criticize OP's comparison.

The point is the RX100 with the F/1.8 lens is capable to produce comparable clean and sharp result to the best Micro 4/3 and APS-C DSLR with typical kit lens. There are times I prefer RX100 vs a D7000 (D90 in my case) or vicie versa. And no question that Sony hits the magic balance between portability and image quality with current technology. It doesn't mean one of them is a better camera. There are inherit limitation of a compact P&S. The same goes for a APS-C, and same for Full Frame The key is the piece of "equipment" behind the viewfinder. Many great pictures you saw in National Geography were taken by camera classes below D7000 or even the RX100.

GMart wrote:

I don't get this...
Range, Aperture and ISO are different in both shots.
Was the focus point the same in both as well?
White balance?
Metering mode?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow