Battery pack on SB-800 with radio triggers ?

Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DafO
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Battery pack on SB-800 with radio triggers ?
Sep 10, 2012

Recently bought the Pixel TD-383 battery pack for the SB-800 which is the copy of the Nikon SD-8A.

Used it for a couple of weddings and it's great.

However something I didn't realise/think of when purchasing - in addition to the power connector at the front - it needs to be connected to the PC synch connector. This is the same on the TD-383 and SD-8A.

When using my SB-800's for location shoots I prefer to set to manual and fire using my radio triggers (Elinchrom skyport) rather than CLS - however if I want to use these battery packs - these are now connected to the PC Sync connector which I'd otherwise use for triggering.

So I was wondering if anybody has used such battery packs and triggered in such a manner ?
I know I can use CLS - but there are several advantages to using radio triggers.

On asking Nikon if I could use a PC sync splitter I was told:

In theory it would work, however, I cannot advise to use it this way as it has not been designed to be used this way and we have not tested it this way, so unfortunately I cannot say what the results will be with regards to damage incurred to equiptment.

So just checking before I blow up my SB-800/batteries/etc.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow