Compact camera image quality vs. NEX

Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,249Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact camera image quality vs. NEX
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Sep 10, 2012

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

That's why I stopped using compact cameras after I got my NEX. It makes no sense to use them. Maybe the Sony RX100 comes close but it is expensive and has no real reach either.
It's better to get a telezoom for the NEX.

The problem is losing the "pocketablility". There's a balance there, somewhere. Each person is going to have to balance how much they want to carry vs. quality.

In my case, if I don't need longer focal lengths, I've been wondering if just taking the 16mm would be sufficient. On my last short overseas trip, I rarely felt the need for more, and the Nex allows for more cropping if needed. I think it worked out better than if I took the HX5V.

But someone looking at the P&S cameras might want a larger zoom range in a more compact size. Here's where I think the RX100 could be a better option for some.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow