Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,274
Like?
Could it be fluorite?
Sep 10, 2012

For quite some time now I've noticed this special trait of Canon tele-primes (..and some zooms...) where low, side-cast late or early day sunlight is rendered in a way I find different from any other manufacturer's lenses, including Nikon.

I have been contradicted by several users that say there's nothing special about it and that other manufacturer's tele-primes, like Nikon, Sigma or Sony are equally good.

I had come to the conclusion that this was a personal preference, something intangible, that couldn't be measured by objective means and, as such was better off fully enjoyed and not discussed.

...but I now see that Canon seems to be the only manufacturer to use fluorite in their lenses. Nikon, for instance dismisses fluorite as being prone to crack under temperature variations and claims that their designers and engineers have come up with a better solution: ED glass. (from their Nikkor lenses glossary. They seem to only use calcium fluoride on their lasers)

Could it be that it is the fluorite accounting for that magic-golden rendering I see in those shots?

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow