Starting fresh with software, but want something to last...

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,343Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting fresh with software, but want something to last...
In reply to trespassing, Sep 10, 2012

In my opinion the best combination is Lightroom 4 plus Photoshop CS6, but then I want a database management program for my images as well as wanting to do post processing on them. Unfortunately this combination is beyond your price range, most likely even with a student discount.

Next up would be Lightroom 4 plus Photoshop Elements. This is nearly as good as the LR4 & CS6 combination and considerably less expensive. Elements does lack some post processing capabilities found in CS6 but for most purposes it is sufficient.

If you really don't want to do any database management then CS6 has Adobe Camera Raw which will give you the same post processing capabilities found in LR4 but the user interface is more primitive. Elements will give you a limited ACR but it is obviously less expensive and may be all you need.

You can download and try the Adobe programs free for a month. All these programs take more than a month to learn even the basic functions but there are plenty of video tutorials available to speed up the learning process. Look on YouTube and especially look for those from Adobe (Google for them).

If all you want to do is simple post processing then download the free image viewing and editing program, FastStone. It is quite good so try it out.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow