X-Trans is NOT Random

Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690
Like?
Re: Good grief, really??
In reply to rattymouse, Sep 9, 2012

Okay, there smarty-pants. Well played. I guess we both have statistical backgrounds. So, if I understand you correctly, you are very upset that Fuji is using the wrong word?? I maintain my position...so dumb.

rattymouse wrote:

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

Seriously, this is so dumb. "Random" is being used in the consumer-friendly way, and in a reasonable way. In actuality, you are right - it's not random. But, generating true randomness is very difficult. As someone with a post-graduate degree in statistics and experiment design, I actually know a lot about this - my guess, more than you.

Post graduate degree in Chemistry here, with a heavy concentration on statistical analysis, so your guess is quite wrong. I'm off to India this coming Sunday to meet with the lead technical people of a chemical plant to....wait for it......review their statistical data on production to see if it is valid before we sign a 5 million dollar contract with them.

In fact, many argue that even programs like Excel or statistical packages like SPSS don't generate true random output. Random should unpredictable, and anytime you introduce a formula to generate the output, the true randomness of the output is arguably questionable.

So, would you prefer Fuji put an asterisk next to the word random with a long-winded scientific caveat?

No, I like for them to use a proper word. There is nothing random about a sensor with a repeating pattern.

So dumb. Really.

Yes, that so called educated people cant see that calling a repeating pattern random is incorrect.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinion/s and/or suggestion/s of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow