Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shawn in ak
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
ND Suggestions
Sep 9, 2012

I'm looking to do some fall photography in the next few weeks in Alaska, as things are starting to turn. My hope is to get up in the mountains and do some landscapes. My excursions this summer have left me with a lot of blown out sky shots, so I'd like to delve into some ND filters.

I shoot with a 5DII and will probably be bringing my 24-105 and 17-40.

I don't have a lot of money currently, but I want the good stuff (and only buy it once), so I figure the best course of action might be to slowly build up a set of nice filters. Lee seems to be a good way to go, though it seems like it's a royal pain trying to find their stuff in stock.

First filter--- 0.6 soft GND? I also see that the 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 set comes out to be a little cheaper for each filter. Though I wonder if 0.3 and 0.6 could be stacked and negate the need for the 0.9. I'm sure there is some quality loss though?

I figure I could use the 0.6 soft and handhold it over a screw-on CP? The foundation kit looks to be unavailable but that looks like a good purchase eventually.

Ultimately, I'd like to do some super long exposures in midday, so a sold ND seems like a good buy eventually. And I'll probably need a non-screw CP too.

Any suggestions? Also, any idea when Lee stuff might be in stock here in the states? Looks like the 0.6 can be purchased singly through some of the big retailers right now but the kits--nope.

Thanks!

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow