is KEH Trustworthy?

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
JJJPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,563Gear list
Like?
Re: is KEH Trustworthy?
In reply to MikeFreeze, Sep 9, 2012

I would absolutely buy from KEH ... although for lenses and cameras I would usually stick to items rated as "EX" or better. (The last camera I bought from KEH rated as "EX" was covered in scratches although it worked perfectly.)

I would also stay away from anything rated "As-Is" or (AI) since it's a broken product that KEH is just selling for anyone who might need parts to repair an old camera.

That said, I'd personally buy accessories rated as "Bargain" (BGN) or "Ugly" (UG) depending on the item. For example, I once purchased a TTL flash from KEH that was rated as "BGN" (it was insanely cheap) and when it arrived it looked like it was in brand new condition ... except a battery had "popped" in the battery compartment at some point and two of the battery contacts were covered in corrosion. I took some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab and cleaned the battery contacts ... and after 15 minutes of work I had a flash that was in like new condition that cost a fraction of the price of the same flash in "LN" condition.

I don't sell my gear to KEH as often because they are starting to "pad" their margins a bit too much for my taste so I'd rather just sell my stuff on eBay or Craigslist.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Sony RX1 Pentax K-7 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL1s +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow