Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,784
Like?
The f/64 Club --- (OT, perhaps)
Sep 9, 2012

As I was meandering through the Ansel Adams exhibit currently at the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem, MA, and enjoying one fantastic photograph after the next, a thought occurred to me. If dPreview had been around for Ansel (except it would have been called fPreview ), he would have almost certainly have started some rather interesting threads: ones like "f/64 club," "EFTS - Exposing for the Shadows," "the Zone System," "Controlling Contrast During Film Development," and, without doubt, many, many more.

And lots of people would have jumped in, some furthering the notions and others offering objections. Someone might have said, for example, "Boy Ansel, you'd never have gotten those stop-action shots of the raging surfs or falling waterfalls with the shutter speeds that would be required at f/64." Or, "you sure lose linearity when you under-develop the negative." Or, "the defraction is killing you at f/64 even with large formats." Or, "who can really tell one zone from its neighbor in practice?" Or, "What do you really gain if you underexpose in camera and overexpose in the developer?" Well, you know what I mean.

I'll bet some of these threads might have really gotten heated, but ideas would have gotten shared, and lots of people would have learned and furthered things. But then, sure as the dickens, someone would have come along, either in that thread or in an entirely new one started just for the purpose, to decry all of the techno-babble and tell Ansel he ought to quit wasting his time with such foolishness and go out and take pictures.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow