Any point to >300dpi printing?

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,306
Like?
Re: Any point to >300dpi printing?
In reply to soloryb, Sep 9, 2012

soloryb wrote:

Source is: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book, by Martin Evening - page 439.

Coincidentally, I just printed a 13X19 extreme cropped/enlargement with a resolution of 118 ppi. I unchecked the Print Resolution box and inputted 360 ppi.

How did you input 360 ppi?

The print came out highly detailed and as sharp as a tack. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I noticed that - although 118 ppi is outside the range of 180 to 1440 - I did not get a plus or minus warning sign as Evening's text indicated should occur. It could be that Adobe changed this feature after the book was written (He wrote most of it during the beta phase). Or, perhaps Adobe changed the automatic ppi algorithm (Print Resolution box deselected) to have a range of 72 ppi to 720 ppi - as your source indicates. In any case, deselecting the Print Resolution box results in allowing the LR algorithm to take over selection of the printer input ppi.

I like your 3-selection choice idea. Maybe Adobe will do that in a future update.

Since this question is kind of important, I'll post it on Adobe's LR forum.

It should be easy enough to check. A smallish print, say 12 x 8 inches, of a 21-24 Mp image would give you a resolution of around 330 ppi. Then reduce the file to 73 ppi in Photoshop and reprint at the same size in LR. Or even two at 8 x 5 inches printed on the same sheet should be enough for visual confirmation.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow