Any point to >300dpi printing?

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
soloryb
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: Any point to >300dpi printing?
In reply to Hugowolf, Sep 9, 2012

Source is: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book, by Martin Evening - page 439.

Coincidentally, I just printed a 13X19 extreme cropped/enlargement with a resolution of 118 ppi. I unchecked the Print Resolution box and inputted 360 ppi. The print came out highly detailed and as sharp as a tack. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I noticed that - although 118 ppi is outside the range of 180 to 1440 - I did not get a plus or minus warning sign as Evening's text indicated should occur. It could be that Adobe changed this feature after the book was written (He wrote most of it during the beta phase). Or, perhaps Adobe changed the automatic ppi algorithm (Print Resolution box deselected) to have a range of 72 ppi to 720 ppi - as your source indicates. In any case, deselecting the Print Resolution box results in allowing the LR algorithm to take over selection of the printer input ppi.

I like your 3-selection choice idea. Maybe Adobe will do that in a future update.

Since this question is kind of important, I'll post it on Adobe's LR forum.

Hugowolf wrote:

soloryb wrote:

By deselecting (not checking) that Print Resolution box, LR does not hand-off the task of calculating print resolution to the printer. On the contrary, deselecting the Print Resolution box causes LR to use its own algorithm to automatically calculate the optimum pixel resolution for you - as long as it's between 180 and 1440 ppi. Outside that range a plus or minus sign appears, warning you to set an appropriate Print Resolution (box then needs to be checked and a ppi value inputted). In most cases, you're better off leaving that Print Resolution box unchecked.

Interesting. Do you have a source for this? It seems to directly contradict what Adobe claim, which is …

“To use the native resolution of the photo (as long as it isn’t lower than 72 ppi or higher than 720 ppi), deselect Print Resolution.”

If it worked other than this then it would have been logical to have been given three choices: set rez, auto rez, and use print rez. With out the third choice it would be impossible to proof an image (for resolution purposes) using LR.

Brian A

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow