Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,743
Like?
OK, one more time....
In reply to Tom Hoots, Sep 9, 2012

Folks,

OK, let me rephrase this, in response to your replies:

1. This is subtle.

2. I think you have to compare a shot with the 18-200 lens with one from a different lens in order to "see" it. Yes, I've had the 18-200 since the very first days you could get your hands on one, and I didn't notice it until I took these test shots. That's why I'm asking if anyone out there who has the two different 18-200 lenses would do such a test shot -- then we could see a difference or not.

3. My two shots were taken just minutes apart -- I have two NEX-5N bodies. Obviously, I've got probably a daylight savings time issue with one of them, which created the time difference you see in the EXIF data. There was also one difference between the camera setups -- one was in center-weighted metering mode, while the other was in pattern metering mode. Bottom line, I did another test with the cameras reversed and the setups equalized, and the reddishness followed the 18-200 lens, not the camera.

4. I don't think it's a white balance issue by any means. Why would it?? I'm taking two shots from the same spot of the same scene with two different lenses, taken only a minute or so apart. I have repeated the test, and I expect I could repeat the test 'till the cows come home and get the same results every day.

So, again, I would still love to see anyone actually do the same kind of test -- heck, do it between the 18-200 lens and the kit lens if you'd like, just like I did here. I would really appreciate seeing any images from such a test.

Thanks again!

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow