Am I stuck in 2007 or just in a good place?

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
derangedhermit
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Am I stuck in 2007 or just in a good place?
Sep 9, 2012

My kit is a 40D (that I read someone laughing at on this forum recently), a 17-55, a 70-200 2.8L (not the latest one), a 1.4x TC, and a 500D for close-ups. I'm a happy camper with this set-up. The 40D fits my hands and has a decent viewfinder, and focuses much better than the 350D it replaced. The 50D seemed to be going away from what I liked in the 40D, and the current 70-200 II is better, but not that much better, and would mean I should get the new 1.4x TC to match.

The only really tempting thing I read was an article by the guy who rents lenses, saying that a few of the latest bodies and lenses now had closed-loop autofocus - but you had to have both body and lens for it to work. Result was about a 1.5-2x improvement in focus accuracy, at no loss in speed. So maybe in 10 years, when that tech is in a mid-range body, a 17-55 II, and a 70-200 III...

The only other thing I can imagine being tempted by (in my price range) is an updated 300 f/4L. But the way prices increase with new lens models, I would be soured on paying $2000 for one.

Am I stuck in 2007?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow