Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,043Gear list
Like?
G1X: World's Deadliest Spider (PICS)
Sep 9, 2012

Taken yesterday with the G1X when I went out to collect and photograph some of our venomous wildlife for a book I'm working on.

G1X - P-Mode 1/320s f/5.0 at 38.0mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• The highly venomous 'Giant Centipede'. - I caught about six of these in under two hours with hundreds of smaller ones that i generally ignored. The bite is said to require hospital treatment and is excruciatingly painful. The front claws have modified to form venom injecting apparatus and the venom itself is known to cause necrosis of the tissue at the site of the bite.

They move fast so a lot of my shots looked like this: http://www.pbase.com/nero_design/image/145926513/original

G1X - P-Mode 1/1000s f/5.0 at 40.2mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• Termites!. - I don't think they were too impressed with my visit. The soldier termites can be identified by the pointed spike on the top of their heads which produces a sticky 'glue' that is used to deter enemies and to seal broken nest walls. Termites are related to cockroaches, not ants.

G1X - P-Mode 1/640s f/5.6 at 52.2mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• The world's deadliest spider: The Funnel Web Spider. - shown as it rears up for the first time. He's in my garage now and I took him home. We're running out of antivenom (only 50% of stock remains in Hospitals here) and so I'll be handing this one in to the venom milking laboratory (CSL) next week.

G1X - P-Mode 1/400s f/5.6 at 52.2mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• Another view of the Funnel Web Spider - also considered to be the most aggressive 'animal' in the world (even though it's an insect), the male Funnel Web Spider produces a deadly venom that can kill a healthy adult human within minutes. Loss of consciousness can occur within 160 seconds after a bite. You can tell the difference between a Funnel Web Spider and the nearly identical looking female Mouse Spider by looking at the fangs because the Funnel Web Spiders produce venom droplets on the tips of their fangs when irritated.

G1X - P-Mode 1/500s f/5.6 at 52.2mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• Funnel Web Spider. - one cranky little insect. - about 1.5 inches long (Juvenile)

G1X - P-Mode 1/400s f/5.6 at 50.9mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• Pretty little blue flower.

G1X - P-Mode 1/1000s f/5.0 at 40.2mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• Brightly colored resin/sap from a Blood Gum (Ironbark) gum tree.

G1X - P-Mode 1/125s f/5.6 at 50.0mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• A little frog that I found under a piece of timber. - about 1.5 inches long.

G1X - P-Mode 1/125s f/5.6 at 53.0mm iso500 + 250D Closeup Lens/Filter

• The deadly Jumper Ant. This species of ant is found over most of Australia and occurs in different color schemes. They kill more Australians every year than every other creature combined - with 61 deaths attributed to this ant in one year alone (deaths occurred from anaphylactic shock). I've been stung by one of these whilst prospecting for gold just a few years ago and it was like being hit with an electric stun gun firing half a million volts and being branded with a hot iron at the same time. My kidneys ached for nearly a week afterwards. The worst thing about these ants is that they can jump 8 inches in any direction in a single bound, have excellent eyesight and will actively pursue a person many feet just to sting them.

Like the centipede, these ants move fast so many of my pictures looked like this: http://www.pbase.com/nero_design/image/145926514/original - the color was washed out in the linked picture due to the angle and camera settings.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow