Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
raizans
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?
a99: great industrial design
Sep 9, 2012

it has only been a few hours since the leak, but my first impression of the a99's design is extremely positive. sony's designers simply killed it.

i might have to get this camera based purely on the industrial design, despite the general dearth of lenses. it looks almost as amazing as the leica s2, and speaks to a similar level of vision and commitment. there are no purposefully odd design flourishes here, nothing that suggests planned obsolescence. may i call it timeless (sorry about the overused word)? an instant classic?

the current trend in camera design is to move away from the organic blob, which was fully realized by the canon eos-1v in 2000. we've seen edges tightening up, as well as distinct lines and geometric forms being utilized to varying degrees of success. i think the design of the a99 stands head and shoulders above recent dslr designs from pentax, nikon, canon, etc. just look at how simple and effortless the prism and top plate are, compared to the ham-handed beveled edge on the tops of the nikon d4 and d800, or the incongruous, overly-round-yet-bumpy contours of the canon 5dmkiii's prism.

the a99's design makes a simple statement: we're here, and we're not playing around.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow