Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GirlyP
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
How soft is the nikkor 20mm f/2.8 af-d?
Sep 9, 2012

As a DX (D7000) user, finding good wide angle alternatives, is pretty much impossible, and I will be suprised if Nikon ever releases a wide angle prime to DX (24, 28 or 35 equivalent). So I'm looking into the alternatives available now.

I actually have the 12-24 f/4 (got it for about half the retail price). It's kinda big, and only f/4, and bad below f/8 anyway. The only really good thing about it is the range, even if it's not very good at 12mm.

The 20mm 2.8 seems like perfect fit on paper (though I don't like the old noisy focus motor). It's small, has f/2.8, and looks cool. The focal length is pretty useful too, somewhere between 28 and 35mm.

BUT reading reviews and opinions, the lens seems to have a bad reputation on digital cameras, but how bad is it really? I'm not a sharpness freak, and I'd rather have a wider apparture, but ofcourse I don't want something super soft.

If anyone have some good examples of what this lens can do, or any other insight, it will be greatly appreciated!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow