A compact or M4/3 as a complimentary camera?

Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eltocliousus
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
A compact or M4/3 as a complimentary camera?
Sep 8, 2012

I have a 40D with a few lenses now and I'm very happy with it's output, more than capable of keeping up with today's big boys for non gigantic print-outs. It however doesn't do video, and I thought about selling it and getting a 60D however I'd lose quite features that I'm happy with now (higher burst, better built body) while only gaining a flippy screen and video in return.

I've decided to get a compact or m4/3 to hold me over until I feel I want to upgrade my DSLR body and have the funds to do so, I'm undecided on whether I should get a compact or go with a m4/3 instead, and would love some opinions.

My main priority is video, some manual controls and something that will feel decent in the hands but is atleast portable enough to chuck in my camera bag along with the 40D and 2-3 lenses.

I've been looking at a used Fujifilm X10, Olympus SH-21 (looks to be tremendous bang for your buck) aswell as a few other lower-end compacts in the Nikon line, and for the M4/3 cameras, GF2, used GX1 and EPM-1, all with their respective kit lenses.

I don't plan to buy any additional lenses at all, and will more than llikely stick with the kit lens for a very substantial amount of time, the M4/3 cameras look to have a much, much bigger sensor which could prove useful for low-light video and just general shooting of stilll, the compacts are cheaper however and offer some benefits of their own, I just can't decide without a little input or opinions to bounce off of.

Thankyou.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X10 Olympus SH-21 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow