Four-thirds recommendation + lens / Shooting primary still sports cars.

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Four-thirds recommendation + lens / Shooting primary still sports cars.
In reply to ralphsmithiii, Sep 8, 2012

ralphsmithiii wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Could you recommend a newer camera (that won't break the bank). Also, with this kit, would an external flash help enough for night time shooting in say parking lots or low lit areas such as the beach? If so, any suggestions on an external flash?

There's nothing wrong with an old camera, it's an ice affordable option. I would stay away from a flash when it comes to cars, you'd have to mount it above the car and have a huge diffusing surface to get anything god.. a remote shutter release and a tripod would let you do long exposures which will look much better.

You could also do light painting but that's a little more complicated and takes a bit of practice.

I've been reading up and many people have stated that for day light shooting, a polarizing filter is a must to keep the glare / reflection to a minimum as well. Would this affect night time shooting with an external flash?

A polarizing filter will help but I've found with cars that there is so much reflective surfaces, it's nearly impossible to cut all of the reflection so you end up with one area without any and the rest have them.

You could take 3-4 pictures and rotate the filter for each one and merge them all later to get a better effect.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow