Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,972
Like?
Optimised Rear Curtain Sync exploring the opportunities
Sep 8, 2012

A recent trial has left me wondering about rear-curtain sync.

Logically, rear curtain sync fires the flash - just before - the rear curtain closes. At shutter speeds beyond x-sync this moment must always occur at the point where there is still an exposed sensor edge and - with a long duration flash - should still provide a clear frame right to the completion of the exposure cycle. The obstruction to this should be a slow reacting flash to peak output.

I am thinking that what is required is to have a fast triggering flash unit, or one with very little delay between the x-sync signal and full output.

So, I just tried a speedlight connected by sync cable.. to a Nikon D2x and D3x.. Front and Rear curtain sync settings shows no difference in shutter shadow. There can't be very many flash units around which can be faster than the triggering of a Speedlight to full power, so is Rear Curtain sync in this situation just beyond being useful?

What is the mechanism behind Rear Curtain sync and what needs to be done to make this sync timing useful and maybe exploited?

-- hide signature --

Ian.

http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk

Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Nikon D2X Nikon D3X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow