Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Compact camera image quality vs. NEX
Sep 8, 2012

Maybe it's just that I've got so familiar with the image quality of APS-C cameras such as my A200 and NEX5, but I used my wife's 12MP Canon SX200IS compact yesterday on a day out at the coast. Sunny weather, so no low light / high ISO / slow speeds involved. Quite honestly the IQ was poor at 100% that I questioned last night if there was something wrong with the camera!

Looking back over earlier shots, I now think it's just the well-known lens quality sensor size issue with pocket compacts vs. APS-C. But the difference to my eye is MUCH bigger than I'd expected. Reading the various reviews of Canon, Panasonic, etc, compacts there is occasionally a mention that they don't quite give you the same results as a DSLR, but it seems to me the real truth is not being made clear to the buying public. Are there any websites that have compared say an entry level DSLR or NEX with a top-of-the-range travel compact in terms of image quality?? I don't think I've ever seen such a comparison.

I was considering getting a new travel zoom compact for lightweight travelling, but I now seriously feel that I'll be disappointed with whatever I get and I'll stick with my NEX+Sigma 30mm as an almost pocketable general walk-around.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow