Cheap ultrawide - 12/2.0 versus a defished 7.5

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?
Re: Stretched pixels (example photo)
In reply to Cani, Sep 8, 2012

Cani wrote:

This filter effect is interesting and I remember visiting their website shortly after purchasing my copy of the Samyang FE, but I can't see myself dealing with another PT software. Since I use LR4.1 for processing, Kenw's easy to apply profiles are great for me to use when needed, especially the rectilinear one.

In combination with an m4/3 body with a level gauge (E-P2 for me) it's pretty easy to compose shots that can be rectilinearized. It's best used when the subject is wide rather than deep otherwise the borders will turn out very blurry from stretching. Better also to shoot in 16mp as you may want to crop the resulting image.

Yeah, the Image Trends filter is applicable to jpegs in photoshop, but as far as I know can't be used in LR. And there's a limit to how many tools anyone wants to use for any purpose. But this thread has some good photos (the ones with the boats and red and white tower) showing the difference between rectilinear correction and the Image Trends filter, and the benefits of the latter for some shots:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1017&message=42245247

For me, I'm glad to have the Image Trends option, in addition to Kenw's profiles, or just leaving the image as shot. I really like the lens a lot, and these options just make it better, IMO.

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow