Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
Re: Any point to >300dpi printing?
In reply to soloryb, Sep 8, 2012

soloryb wrote:

BlueTrain wrote:

Printers have a native input resolution which in turn is related to the output resolution. The screening resolution, the input resolution use when converting from RBG images to CMYK printing dots, varies from printer to printer.

Epson inkjet printers have output resolutions of 720 dpi, 1440 dpi, 2880 dpi, etc. The best input resolution for these has been shown to be 360 ppi. Canon and HP printers tend to give better results with input resolutions of 300 ppi.

There is some discussion over when having exceeded the native screening resolution, if it is better to resize down or up. For example if you have 450 ppi, is it better to go down to 300 ppi or up to 600 ppi. With a program like Adobe Lightroom you can simply set it to 300 ppi and let LR deal with it. QImage will automatically deal with it without user intervention.

I have an HP B9180 printer and had been printing for years with either PS or LR set to 300 ppi. The advice you have given re best printer input settings has been around for several years and I was following it up until recently. That is, until I contacted Martin Evening

And is Martin someone I should know?

and he told me in an e-mail that - with modern printers - this rule is no longer necessary. He advises to uncheck the box (in LR Print Module) for 'Print Resolution' and allow LR to choose the output ppi for most situations.

If you do not select a resolution in LR, then you are leaving it to the printer’s driver to use the resolution of the image for screening – it is no longer in the hands of Lightroom.

It never was a rule, it was an optimization method.

He also says in his LR4 book that Jeff Schewe recommends that where the native resolution falls below 360 ppi, you should set LR print resolution manually to 360 ppi and if the native resolution is above 360 ppi, but below 720 ppi, then to upsample to 720 ppi.

Yes I have heard Jeff’s comments on this, but he doesn’t really support it with hard evidence, so it just becomes another opinion to consider.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow