Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GMussio
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
New To X-Pro 1... Blown Away
Sep 7, 2012

I've owned alot of gear in my life including the 5D MK II with some decent glass and studio strobes but nothing beats using an X Pro 1 IMO. I've had it for a week now and the quality is top notch. High ISO is on par if not better then then my old FF cam and the noise quality is alot nicer which is especially useful for improving dynamic range. I dont need to beat the dead horse anymore, but it's no secret that the MK II had issues with banding in the shadows. I know mine did (so did my wedding photog). The 35mm f1.4 is a real jewel. It's sharp wide open. To be frank though, the JPEG engine does play a role. RAWs in LR 4 are not as sharp (but they are still on par with what I got from FF). DOF is noticeably less thin than FF cams, but actually, it kind makes it easy to make sure someones entire head or body is in focus while still blurring out the background and effectively isolating the subject. Bokeh is dreamy.

Back to the JPEG engine. I shot RAW mainly to bring out some DR and detail that you might otherwise lose with the JPEG engine from other cams. Frankly, the Fuji JPEG engine does a damn good job and can be fine tuned nicely. The film settings and image customization options for shadow, highlights, noise reduc., sharpness, and DR are so great that I find myself shooting JPEG for the most part and adjusting the film settings as I shoot. The only real downer is that you can't preview the settings as your changing them on an existing RAW, but you can see the changes before the shot is taken in the EVF! Thanks to Fuji, I shoot JPEG now, and save the occasional RAW for when 3rd party RAW processors finally catch up and I can play with certain images I really love a bit more.

Fuji is on to something special here. Some XPRO shooters might be upset at the great value the XE1 is, but i'm not. I admit it, I am impatient. The $300 savings was enough for me to pull the trigger on the XPRO (I think it should have been priced originally at 1399... not 1699. However, the XE1 has fixed the pricing problems and the new model means Fuji is likely to stand by their X line and come out with more fantastic lenses and bodies down the road. I hope the XE1 is a home run and sells well to provide further incentive for Fuji to update and invest in this young but great system.

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow