E-M5 vs X-E1

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
Re: Its all about IQ in the end...Fuji is my vote here
In reply to Spade357, Sep 7, 2012

Spade357 wrote:

If you're really serious about photography, willing to learn and want exceptional IQ then I would go with the Fuji. True, the Fuji is not a mature system yet, slow in AF, not enough lens,etc.....BUT, the damn IQ is so good and so far, IMO, none of the mirrorless cameras comes close.

+1

People complaining about the price of the XF lenses are missing the point. It is not a mass-market camera system, it is meant to compete with Leica, and for the most part delivers. The $600 XF 35mm f/1.4 is in the same class as the $4K Leica 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, and the scope of delivery is impeccable. Fuji makes the lenses on the Hasselblad H medium format system, so this is less surprising than may seem at first glance. Olympus has some decent optics like the 75mm, but the vast majority of m43 lenses are dreck and not in the same class as the old Maitani OM optics, let alone Leica M or Fuji's.

I don't mean to troll on a m43 forum, but the sensor IQ on the X-Pro1 seems better to me than the E-M5's from what I've seen on the DPReview test shots. The only way you'd get better in a non-DSLR is if you get a Sigma DP2 Merrill, but it won't perform in low light.

The question is how much better the X-E1 AF is than on the 1.0 firmware X-Pro1. No CDAF system is going to compete for tracking action shots with the PDAF of a DSLR or hybrid sensors like the Nikon 1 or Sony NEX-5R, but the AF on the X-Pro1 is very accurate and depending on your shooting style may be good enough.

-- hide signature --
 Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow