Check out this D800 vs 5D3 ISO comparison

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen78
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?
Re: not a valid comparison
In reply to Mach Schnell, Sep 7, 2012

While the author states that he used 50mm f/8 for each shot, I am assuming he also matched shutter speeds but would be nice if he stated this.

If the shutter speeds are the same, I think it is a valid comparison. All the underexposed Canon images are showing is that their stated ISO is not quite as light sensitive as Nikon's stated ISO. As you can see from DXO mark, the stated ISO in modern cameras is almost always higher than the tesed ISO.

From the reviews I have seen, 5d Mark III has lower noise in out of camera JPGs but at the expense of lost detail, even at equivalently scaled image size. At 100%, RAW noise on Nikon D800 is about the same as the 5d Mark III but the D800 has the extra resolution to retain more details. If you process RAW correctly the D800 edges the 5d III in high ISO IQ. Plus it obliterates the 5d III in low ISO IQ.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow