Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Too good to come true?
Sep 7, 2012

I realize I need to wait to see how this will play out, but thought I would ask if anyone had similar experiences and how they fared.

I had wanted one of the super-tele lenses for a long time but could not afford it. I only went out to 400mm and this was too short for much of what I wanted to shoot. I usually buy new, but I wanted this so much I finally bought a used one in super condition, just back from service by the manufacturer, a few months ago. Since then I have been very happy with this lens and took it with me most places even if I did not plan to use it, just in case an opportunity popped up.

I just tripped over an advertisement for a new version of this same lens at a ridiculously low price (comparatively speaking). Now here is the situation:

• The item is backordered from the manufacturer (initially missed that when I placed the order)

• I received a confirmation email of my order at the price which was advertised

• Since then the store has placed a $1 charge against my credit card (test for confirmation), plus the advertised price of the lens as a “pending”.

• They have the usual disclaimer indicating they are not responsible for errors in the ad, but they also state order are not confirmed until they ship the product.

• Since I placed my order the price of the lens has changed to reflect the “normal” price, comparable to other authorized dealers of this equipment.

So here is my question, What do you think the chances are I will get the lens at the advertised - ordered price?

I consider them reputable and have dealt with them in the past and in person, but do not normally spend much with them. I thought I would take a chance, thinking the worst case is the attempt to purchase fails and costs me nothing.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow