Cheap ultrawide - 12/2.0 versus a defished 7.5

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
Re: Stretched pixels (example photo)
In reply to Cani, Sep 7, 2012

For comparison purposes, here is your original photo with the Image Trends Fisheye Hemi 2 filter applied:

The lines in the ceiling tiles still have some curve, but the overall width of the shot is mostly preserved, and the column at the far right is not widened a whole lot. If you want to completely "de-fish," the Image Trends filter may not be the best for closeup shots of structures like this, but it works very well for some types of shots.

I've also been using Kenw's profiles for certain types of shots. The rectilinear is the most aggressive at defishing, but it does stretch out parts of the image at either side, as well as cropping. The stereographic profile does a partial defish but gives pleasing results with certain types of shots.

I just got my Rokinon fairly recently, but playing with Kenw's profiles and the Image Trends filter (which cost me $18 using a coupon code) allows a variety of results, letting me choose which works best for the particular shot.

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow