Any point to >300dpi printing?

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
RetiredInFlorida
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303
Like?
Re: Any point to >300dpi printing?
In reply to BlueTrain, Sep 7, 2012

ok BlueTrain, you asked for it.

are you printing at home or printing for a gallery trying to get $400 for a 13x19?

ppi does matter if you are printing on 'what kind of image on what kind of paper'.

matte paper absorbs ink. so there is a limit as to how much ppi is needed before your just wasting time and ink. the standard max answer for matte paper is 240ppi. so setting QImage to print at your printers max. you'll be wasting ink if you print hundreds of images.

when it comes to B&W's on glossy AND the size your printing. yes, use the highest setting your printer can give you. Sharpening your image will help the contrast between black and white. but don't sharpen until you've set your final image size and ppi.

so if you've enlarged your image to 20x30. now set the ppi to 300 (canon) or 360 (epson). then set you printer to it highest setting.

if your print colors. its a matter of making a few test print ON WHICH glossy paper to find the best results.

so are you printing at home of for a gallery?

BlueTrain wrote:

Apologies for the newbie question, printing is a bit of a mystery to me...

If pro quality prints usually use 300dpi is there any point in using a higher resolution than this? Is it always best to just use the highest resolution you have when printing as a rule of thumb? Or does it get to a point where you get no discernible quality in the print after a certain resolution and start to sacrifice on other counts (e.g. using more ink?)

The max image size I get from my canon is 5616 x 3744 which means I could print out on A4 at around 450+dpi

Or is it better to set the resolution to 300dp prior to printing?

NB I am printing at home using a canon pro9500, directly from CS5

many thanks
T.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow