More FZ200 Testing

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
VincentR
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: FZ200 looks great to me
In reply to samualson, Sep 7, 2012

samualson wrote:

If someones just interested in IQ and the zoom range is not a big priority you can get stellar IQ for $600.00. Some superzooms are not in the affordable $399.00-$475.00 price range anymore.

There are some superzooms that have IQ thats nearly identical to these Pani's that can be had for $375.00 such as the Canon SX 40 HS. A 35 x zoom to boot.

Is the FZ 200 $225.00 better than the SX 40 HS, i don't think so.

I am not a Canon groupie or a Pani groupie i just call them as i see them.

Fair enough! There a few superzooms that have an even wider range than 25-600mm. I've considered them.

However, as a fairly experienced photographer, I always shoot in RAW mode. If a camera doesn't have RAW mode, I'm not interested. I want to be the guy who processes my own images. I have the full version of Photoshop, which costs a lot more than a mere P&S.

I recently came across the Nikon Coolpix P510 with an amazing range from 24-1000mm. Wow! That's really impressive. However, on further inspection, I find this camera has no RAW mode, and its maximum aperture at 1000mm is F5.9. The range of apertures from 24-1000mm is F3.0 to F5.9.

It may be the case that the P510 at 1000mm, in jpeg mode, will produce more detailed results than my 15mp Canon 50D with equivalent 640mm lens, cropped to 4mp. But I wouldn't be interested in such crappy results. I'm striving for images which look good at prints sizes larger than postcard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow