Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,631Gear list
Like?
Digging deeper
In reply to stevielee, Sep 7, 2012

stevielee wrote:

KM Legacy wrote:

Having decent shot-to-shot processing and respectable (usable) AF performance,

Both of which it has. The AF is not fast but it's pretty good in decent light, or eve lowish light. Again, there is zero delay before you can take more images.

along with consistent, reliable, and also state-of-the art imaging output across a wider (usable) ISO spectrum

It is wider than previous cameras. ISO 800 is really good and 1600 usable but slightly flawed. Sigma advances slowly is this regard but they do advance.

• as well as the ability to compose pictures via an onboard OVF is hardly "gimmicky" and "special effects".

Yes, it is - since you can do the same thing with the rear LCD. An EVF in addition is just a waste, they never look that good and give you little value over even a simple removable OVF. It would also make the camera considerably more expensive, when the primary goal should be to get as many people shooting them as possible.

Until any other company can ship a GOOD EVF I hardly see why Sigma burden users with the added cost of development even to include it as an option.

They are rightly considered by the vast majority of enthusiast and advanced photographers who want and/or require higher IQ imaging performance as pretty basic and essential elements of working with a more fully integrated digital camera experience and consistent output.

By a small cadre of whiners more like it. Again, you have live view on the rear LCD, an EVF is a step beyond that not as many people as you think "require".

I have yet to see more than a handful of people in any response thread for any review even mention the lack.

Here's a thought - get a Hoodman loupe, stick it on the back. EVF, voila! You didn't say WHERE it had to be. And since nothing but an EVF will do for you you can superglue it on the back.

MR over at LL can rave on and on about this and that (I remember the time he actually compared what I believe was a Canon P&S G10 as competing quite favorably with a large sensor, high MP medium format DSLR, and posted examples of it doing just that to boot) -- but even he concedes that these new DPM Sigma's are fairly crude technologically operating devices -- outside of it's sensor and the lens mounted in front..

Yes, that is true. He gave an excellent list of shortcomings. But he, like so many others, realized that it has some good points also, some great ones in fact.

And if that's all you, and others really and truly "care" about when it comes to your utilizing photography in the everyday, then by all means figure out how you can shoehorn some bare MF sensor inside a empty black box with some decent glass affixed to the front of the box at an appropriate distance to the sensor and you're all good to go.

As long as I could take images with it that would be preferable to cameras that pile needless things atop it but ignore the image produced.

The sad thing is you care so little for photography you would refuse to use such a camera were it the last camera on earth. You appear to have no ability to take even the slightest bit of discomfort in the pursuit of better images. You speak of care, yet you display none yourself.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow