Sigma’s ownership of Foveon sensor – greatest loss for the photographic world

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,501Gear list
Like?
Existence vs. nonexistence - Sigma saved Foveon
In reply to flektogon, Sep 7, 2012

flektogon wrote:

Just imagine for example Sony having the Foveon sensor.

I can easily imagine it.

Had Sony bought Foveon, why would they hamper or shelve the designs they have been worked on for so long and sell to so many? So much work.

The Foveon technology would then go to the same warehouse with the Arc and the designs for the flying car, never to be seen again by man.

There would be no DP-2M, no SD-1, no merrill sensor.

But the A-77? Yes that would exist. Just as it is.

Perhaps in twenty years some small part of Foveon tech might peek through sensor designs...

Would the world really be a better place without the Merrill sensor? I don't think so. Look at all the beauty that has come from it already. Even as SOMEWHAT flawed as the Sigma cameras may be, they work plenty well enough to capture beautiful images, and honestly I cannot say that had Sony built the DP-2M they would have put as good a lens in it.

Do not curse Sigma, for they are the ONLY large photographic company who were willing to take a gamble with Foveon. Every other company had YEARS to make use of Foveon tech when Foveon was independent, and never did. In the end only Sigma was there to save Foveon from utter dissolution.

This idea doesn’t need more words…

It certainly doesn't, at least not until you realize the depth of your mistake and what you are really asking for, the sadly lacking alternate reality you would have us live though.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow