Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zolty
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Re: Focal 1.5.2 available
In reply to michaeladawson, Sep 6, 2012

michaeladawson wrote:

Paul Kappel wrote:

Also, I found that changing the 'defocus method' in focal pro significantly changes the result of recommended setting for the correction: My d700/AFs 501.4 combo has a setting of +8 when defocus method 'maximum far' is selected. With 'maximum near' it has a setting of -5 (!). Constantly, repeatedly. If this is a typical behavior of all lenses (which I could not test yet) then the fine-tuning is obsolete anyhow IMHO.

A valid point. Not sure what an answer to to this is.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Just my guess - doesn't the reikan results show (in)accuracy in optical element positioning when focusing? The results we are getting (positive when focusing from infinity end and negative when focusing from minimum focusing distance would indicate that either PDAF as a system, or just AF motor overruns required position and stops just behind it. Might be inertia of the lens element as well.
Just guessing, but correct me if I my way of thinking is wrong.

Edit: well in this case positioning target close to minimum focusing distance while in near defocus mode should minimize the error. I have no way to check it as I am abroad until the end of september.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow