Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,673Gear list
Like?
GH2 does full moon but with shutter vibrations. Need GH3 instead
Sep 6, 2012

I decided to show the kids the full moon the other night. Since the “third full moon in a season that normally has four full moons instead of the usual three” is called the Blue moon I decided to white balance towards Blue even though the moon never actually looks “Blue”.

I used the GH2 with my 8 inch 800mm F4.0 telescope and a coma corrector. I never could get the sharpness where I wanted it despite being able to easily focus it with the 5x and 10x lossless crop mode.

I think the shutter vibrations are affecting the sharpness even at very fast shutter durations. That is because with m4/3s the shutter has to close and then open again before the exposure even starts. At a 35mm equivalent of 1600mm those vibrations are very apparent.

I hope to get much better dynamic range and be able to use the electronic shutter for RAW images when I get the GH3. I also hope to barrow an SCT telescope that is much better suited to objects within our solar system.

The kids absolutely loved seeing the moon through the telescope and I was actually able to capture the audio of their questions as we looked into the scope. It was amazing how much they knew already and how much they wanted to learn more.

There are also a couple of pictures of the moon from days earlier.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow