S/N chart of the SD1/DP sensor

Started Sep 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew Hodgkinson
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Summary: at ISO200, 12.5 EV DR, 1/2 EV less than D800
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Sep 6, 2012

I was lucky enough to get Paralympics tickets for athletics yesterday. Spent some time with the DP2m at the Olympic Park in very harsh, bright September sunshine - not a cloud in the sky. Many of the buildings have flat or tubular, white or metal surfaces on them; they are often surrounded by bridges, trees, umbrellas and so-on, creating lots of shadow areas. Bit of a dynamic range nightmare.

On the whole, the trick of shooting at +0.7 ISO 100 seems to have paid off. The most reflective highlights are unavoidably blown but I can't imagine many other cameras doing any better; they were pretty much blinding to the naked eye. By allowing some highlight blowout on particularly bright surfaces but still overexposing for shadows, the shadow areas can then be drawn out retaining colour and detail.

It's difficult to process the result into an 8-bit JPEG just because you have to sort of push and pull between exposure, shadow level and fill light, attempting to squeeze all that brightness into the dynamic range of a normal computer monitor and image. The results seem pretty good so far and I hope to have a small selection of gallery images uploaded in due course.

There were of course inevitable problems with banding due to pushing up fill light, but noise reduction hasn't damaged other image areas too badly in most cases; and I can't really argue with the remarkable detail levels that it has so brilliantly captured in things like the interior of the Olympic stadium.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow