Does Anyone Want to Talk me out of a cheap lens?

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Does Anyone Want to Talk me out of a cheap lens?
Sep 6, 2012

I know this has been discussed a million times on this forum, and I have read lots of pros and cons on the Nikon 85mm 1.4 vs. the 1.8G. I understand that it is not in the same league as the 1.4, I am not asking that.

I bought a D800 recently, and currently only have the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, and I would really love to get a large aperture prime and have been drooling over the 85mm f/1.4 for a long time.

Bottom line, it ain't gonna happen any time soon (budget).

I have always been under the impression that your system is only as good as your weakest link, and feel that you get what you pay for. I keep wondering why I would take a nice body like the D800 and pair it with a consumer lens like the 85 1.8, but my only options are wait (possibly a long time), or buy the 1.8 in the mean time, and then get the 1.4 someday later.

The only reason I even question this is that I hear a lot of folks say the 1.8G isn't all that bad, and certainly shoots above it weight.

So... Does anyone want to talk me out the 1.8G before I waste my money, or will it be money well-spent? (I can always sell it in a year or two and get something in return.)

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow