Olympus OM-D E-M5 or X100 (IQ)?

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
RobBurke
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 or X100 (IQ)?
In reply to malabito, Sep 6, 2012

The evf as you asked before is miles ahead on the OMD, much much better.

After reading this, I wondered if I was missing something, so I did a side-by-side comparison of the two viewfinders.

• Holding one camera to each eye, the X100 image is a little larger (same height but wider).

• With the equivalent focal length selected on the E-M5 I could read text on my monitor better through the X100 viewfinder. Not by much, but enough to be sure I wasn't imagining it. The optical distortion might be very slightly better with the X100 too.

(I checked that I had the diopter adjustment correct on each camera, and by taking a picture, that the text viewed was well within the resolution of the lens.)

Overall, for my left eye at least, I saw that the X100 EVF was slightly better than the E-M5. In other lighting or different eyes perhaps it could go the other way. But if you don't like the X100 EVF I can't see how the E-M5 would be an improvement. Personally I find both very acceptable.

(I know that the E-M5 has a higher frame-rate, and I have it on that setting. Perhaps that is the difference malabito meant?)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow