Olympus OM-D E-M5 or X100 (IQ)?

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
RobBurke
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 or X100 (IQ)?
In reply to kipling, Sep 6, 2012

I like the x100's OVF. Do you think the EVF is better on the Olympus? This might compensate for it not having an OVF.

I have an X100 and an E-M5. I tend to use the X100 EVF more than the OVF, to get precise framing. Switching between the two cameras, I don't notice a difference in EVF quality either way. I think you'd need to do a careful side-by-side comparison to see if there is a marginal difference. However I find the highlight/shadow display on the E-M5 EVF very useful.

There is no doubt that the E-M5 is a more versatile camera. Weather resistance has been very useful in the UK this year (!). Focus speed, multiple exposures, control panel, and the LCD are all in a different league. On the other hand, the X100 feels lighter and is the camera I'd pick up going out in the evening.

I can't really comment on image quality, because I don't have any m4/3 prime lenses. Leaving 100% crops aside, I don't notice a practical difference on dynamic range or high ISO. There might well be a difference if you look hard, but it's not enough to make me choose one camera over the other in any difficult situation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow