LX7 or RX100 for jpeg vacation main camera

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dko3tgk Junior Member • Posts: 29
LX7 or RX100 for jpeg vacation main camera

Sorry for what seems like a topic that's been beaten to death. I'm wondering which is best for me based on my usage.

I have an LX1. Been very happy with it. Use it as my main vacation camera. I'm a Panny fan. I also have a FX07 and a Digilux2 (LC-1). So I am used to Panny's interface.

What I use my LX1 for is travel. i work in travel and travel mainly to Asia (East and SE) a few times a year. So think pictures of Angkor, landscapes of Halong Bay, Japanese gardens, some wide street scenes, night markets in Bangkok, river scenes in Laos, etc. I don't use raw that much as I tend to shoot alot of shots and just choose later as opposed to taking fewer shots and post processing all of them. I do play with aperture when lighting conditions are tricky, but I shoot mostly auto.

So what I like about the LX7 is:
the 24mm f1.2 lens.

the 16:9 sensor (great for landscapes. I shoot almost exclusively 16:9 with LX1)
sharp bright Leica lens
And that I'm happy and familiar with the UI.

But what I like about the RX100 is:
better out of camera jpegs? (at least according to reviews. I don't shoot raw)
smaller size. The LX7 is far bigger than my old LX1.
better dynamic range. (I always felt it was a weakness of my LX1)
better low light shooting with moving subjects (LX1 is horrible at this)

Which camera do you think I should buy?
I'm ok with the price difference.
I just want the camera that suits my usage best.

Thanks for your opinions.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow