Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Kay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
5D3 or 1D4 ?
Sep 6, 2012

I currently have a 5D Mk 2 and a Canon 7D. I really like both cameras for specific functions, but would like to get down to a single body. I use the 5D for landscapes, low light stuff like night photography, astrophotography and portraits for the nice shallow DOF the large sensor affords. I use the 7D for sports due to its faster speed (frames per sec) and better AF and also for birding with additional reach of the 1.6X crop.

Since I cannot afford the 1DX, I was thinking about either the 5D MK3 or the 1D mark4, since both are roughly the same price. My concern is whether this will adequately bridge the gap. I used to have a 1D Mark 2 and really loved it, but it was quite outdated. But it handled great, the AF was great for sports (lots of keepers in high speed action) and the exposure was dead on. The picture quality defied the lower resolution and looked great.

Since the 1D4 is 1.3X, it is probably fine for the birding and nature stuff. I would expect the speed and AF to be great for the sports. But will I be disappointed with the high resolution required for landscapes? The 5D3 is great for landscapes, but is slower than my 7D and quite a bit slower than the 1d4 for sports. Although it sounds like the AF is much improved over the 5D2. Will I miss the extra reach with the full frame sensor, or is the resolution so good, cropped down it would still be as sharp as the 1D4's 16MP sensor?

I am struggling over the decision. Would appreciate some feedback from anyone, particularly if you have already gone through this decision.
--
FCAS Member #127
My Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfranciskay

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow