Guilty of using P & S cameras like old one use disposable cameras?

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wade maney
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Guilty of using P & S cameras like old one use disposable cameras?
Sep 6, 2012

Ok -- I have a confession - and I don't think I'm alone in this regard - but how many of us are guilty of treating every new and improved P & S camera like it is almost a one use disposable camera - albeit a very expensive one? All of course justified because we seek the perfect point and shoot. One with the fastest lens, the largest sensor, the best glass, the largest MBs, the best in camera software, etc.

Who had to have and bought the Canon S90, S95, S100, G1X, Sony RX100 or any other similar array of ever evolving - somewhat better point and shoots all in search of the elusive "perfect point and shoot." Which means of course I/we/you spent a small fortune or at least went through some nifty trading, ebaying, selling discounted to relatives or just giving away some v good cameras. And when you let go of those cameras (or at least put them back in their boxes to keep "just in case" you need a back up sometime). how many of them were in near pristine shape or had v low shot counts?

In my case I love a good photograph - but I think I am guilty of believing (at least in part) that a better camera will make me a better photographer - when I know that the largest part of taking a good photo is not the result of the camera but the knowledge and skill of the photographer - which in not learned by trading up. Its learned by understanding how cameras works, how your specific camera works, how light and exposure work, how ISO and white balance work and on and on - but understanding all of this takes time and energy - to read, shoot, critique, look, study, read, shoot, critique...But this is a lot to do!! So sometimes it just feels easier to buy the newest and best camera...which of course is why I have and at least for now - love the RX 100. What about you all?
--
Wade

wade maney's gear list:wade maney's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D7100
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow