Started Sep 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
base_nine
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Canon L series - Dreams vs. Reality
Sep 5, 2012

I would love to buy the Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM, but at over $1500, I just cannot afford it!

I have a Canon 60d and 18-135mm IS (kit lens). During the summer, I took photos of a friend’s daughter’s softball games. She is the star pitcher and I was lucky enough to be photographing when she pitched a shut-out game – the first in the school’s history! The local paper published two of my photos. For the next game, they sent an official photographer – unfortunately it was a bad game for the local team. He did let me use his 100-400L lens and Wow! I mean Wow – I want one of those! But reality is that due to other commitments, buying an expensive lens like this is pretty low on the financial priority list.

When I examined the EXIF data on the photos with that lens, I noticed that most of the shots were around the 300mm mark, plus or minus a little.
So if I set a budget of around $800, what are my options?
I could get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L and use a 1.4x or 2x converters.
Or the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

What else is out there within my budget? I don't need to limit to the Canon brand. While I’d like a zoom, I’m not ruling out a fixed lens of around 300mm to 400mm.
Suggestions and personal recommendations please.

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow