Continuation: 7D v2.0.0.0 firmware freezing

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
Re: What argument?
In reply to Flying Fish, Sep 5, 2012

Also agree 100%. So it sounds like we are all agreeing then!

And the ball is now in Canon's court to make the next move.

Flying Fish wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something--it has happened before--but I'm not seeing anyone stating that this hasn't happened. I don't think anyone doubts AC1; for sure I don't. What I am seeing, and let me state it as clearly as I can, is that because we don't have actual data, we have no idea how common the freezing phenomenon is or what the cause is. Please don't misinterpret me here, but it's well known that when huge numbers of people get some medical treatment, usually vaccination, a few will become ill soon after receiving the treatment and a very few will actually die. The problem is determining whether more people become sick and die after vaccination than one would have expected. The fact is that people become ill and die every day, even if they aren't vaccinated, and if you vaccinate millions of people some will become ill and die soon after getting vaccinated just by chance.

We have the same problem with Canon 7Ds and the new firmware. I have no idea how many Canon 7Ds are in use and how many of those users downloaded Firmware 2.0, and I don't know how many people's cameras have frozen. I do know, from reading this thread, that some people have had their cameras freeze up since they downloaded the new firmware and some of us have had it happen before the download (I am one such). That's all I know. I don't have access to the numbers I'd need to have to try to determine whether there's a causal relationship between the new firmware and the freezing. Because my camera froze once before the download, even if it freezes again after the download, I won't know if it's because of the download.

So what does this long-winded rambling mean? I think there's enough information to want to check on whether there's a relationship between the new firmware and cameras freezing, and as far as I know, only Canon has the data to do that. I hope Canon will be straightforward with us and let us know what they know, but until then, all I can do is sympathize with those who have problems and thank them for keeping us informed.

FF

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow