RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,358Gear list
Like?
Re: Rare 28mm f/1.4D sighting ;)
In reply to RBFresno, Sep 5, 2012

RBFresno wrote:

...... "the 1.4/28 creating a rather lifeless and flat image.... "

??

Well, to be blunt, those are fine examples of exactly what I'm talking about. I don't much blame your technique, I just find them extremely characterless and flat (I do believe those are at high ISO's as well, right, which o/c makes matters worse, but still). Sure it's highly subjective so if you don't agree, disregard it.

I have a hard time believing the old lens has more character though, that is classic romanticizing over old glass; as it can't live up to the technical specs people tend to hold on to less measurable traits, like character.

The 1.4/28 specifically has always puzzled me, and it strikes me as a lens design with a clinical look in mind. Even the 1.4/35 Ai(s)has more "character" but mostly due to its short-commings.

Also, I've seen those photos many times here in dpr (they did in part help me form my opinion), I assume you have others if you care for the lens that much. I would really love to see more, as the lens is rare and I truly have seen relatively few photos from it (here or otherwise). I would happily be proved wrong as I've been searching for the photo that would give me an excuse for lusting over it (the need for GAS).

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow