Started Sep 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?
Lakers Maze Cave, E-M5 w/ 12-50
Sep 5, 2012

This past weekend I went to Lakers Maze Cave to try out my new Phottix Stratos II wireless radio slaves. It is an easy cave with a few pretties to photograph. I took a E-M5 with the 12-50 kit lens, a FL600R flash with a sync cord, three Sunpak 383 flashes along with the radio transmitter and three recievers. All fitting into a Pelican 1400 box. Also couple of tripods to be used to hold a camera or a flash. I had Ken with his photo gear Lore and her nephew Alex.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Photo 5:

Photo 6:

I really do like the Phottix Stratos II radio slaves. I got the ones for Canon. The transmitter has a hotshoe on top for a direct hotshoe flash. I used the Olympus FL600R with a sync cord on the transmitter hotshoe. At first I was able to use TTL flash control on the OLympus flash wich was really neat. The other flashes, which were on the recievers, were all vari-power dumb flashes. Everything worked great. Then later on all the flashes would fire but there was something about the timing where all the flashes will go off before the shutter opens. I figured out that I could but the corded Olympus flash on manual mode and everything worked fine, except I lost TTL metering on the corded flash. Then later on the batteries in the Olympus flash went dead and no flash would go off. Removing the Olympus flash from the reciever got the remote flashes firing again. So I really having figure out what is going on. I am fairly sure using a radio slave for a Canon on an Olympus makes the flashes a little flacky. Another guess is that when the battery level dropped in the cabled Olympus flash that things got flacky. Any guesses.

Still overall I did like the Phottix Stratos II radio slaves. Still I need a few more cave trips to better understand the ins and outs of using them.

Also the "macro" function in the 12-50 lens does not get one close enough for water drops. I kind of figure that but I just had to try.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Comments are always welcome. If you want to see a few more photos from this cave I got them posted on my Flickr galelry at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_l_black/sets/72157630265964662/with/7930867882/

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow